Thursday 5 March 2015

RIP Mike Bennett aka Bonehead

With Mike at his home in Barrytown on the West Coast 2011. 



Mike Bennett
11.01.1935 - 20.02.2015



It was at the Deercullers' reunion over the weekend that I heard of the passing of Mike Bennett. Although he hadn't been well for awhile it was a shock to hear this sad news.  I was fortunate to have the opportunity to meet and hear Mike recounting the good old days, his storytelling always delivered in a rich well spoken English voice, sometimes appearing quite gruff in character but always a gentleman and a very articulate and skilled raconteur. 

I phoned him from time to time to see how he was and he always had time to talk and always bemoaned some local council or government policy and was always in the middle of some dispute with both, writing letters and sometimes he would e mail me these to read, saying something like, 'look what these bastards are up to now!' 
His book The Venison Hunters published 1979 was made into a film of the same name, and the link at the bottom of the post will take you the website which also has his wonderful film where he plays the legendary Westcoast icon Arawata Bill.

The following is a combination of the meeting at Barrytown and recorded phone conversation from 2011. All told in Mike's voice...

I used Vic (Erceg) in a film called Alpine Airways. I was the director and we were a bit short of people, we went up the Dart and we were pretending to be deer cullers. We crashed across the creek and did a few things and we had a little tent camp way up on the ridge flat. Vic and I we were mates years ago you lose touch with people you know.
And George, I remember him.
He was a lovely man.

I played Arawata Bill in Denis Glover’s sequence of poems set to film and we had to cart a bloody DOC officer around with us because we were in the wilderness zone but let's not get into that, my blood pressure goes up.

I’ve been on the coast for thirty years and I’ve lived in Barrytown for twenty.
I knew Frank reasonably well; we kept bumping into each other. I always remember him, I’m not sure if he was best man or groomsman (Frank was groomsman and Rod Rudolf was best man) at Doug Jones wedding and he had bare feet and Doug’s rather posh wedding turned out to be a deer shooters party – so you said you’ve been talking to Doug.

I didn’t shoot with Frank but we were deer cullers together – not together on the same block – he was around Makarora and he poached into the head of the Te Naihi.

He probably didn’t discover - but he certainly used Newlands Pass, a very difficult pass at the head of Newland and under the flanks of Mount Alba. It’s a series of very step terraces and a bit like the OLeary Pass at the head of the Arawata. 

'The Mueller Glacier is a tributary of the Turnball and all these headwaters come together on the same bit of the Main Divide. He would have known about that country, they’re all interlocked with ridge systems; once he was up at that altitude it's easy enough to keep walking along the top and drop into these main river systems.'

Would you believe it, my former wife Lorraine, was over last year and we went to Hokitika for the day. I said that’s funny, that’s an old Fox Moth flying around. We went up to the airport and it was the bloody plane I pulled out of the sea on my back, old APT.
I actually have the bottle of whisky from Henry Buchanan for saving the plane.'

Lorraine was talking to these various people and they were interested in meeting me. They said their Dad - Malcolm Forsyth one of the pilots from the early meat day’s winter 1959 - was the pilot and they said we’ve got these photographs from dad’s collection and we don’t know any of the people.
They all looked alike to me; well they were me forty years ago! Its funny to see all these photographs you didn’t know existed.  I thought God I was a handsome young bugger in those days. The first colour photographs of their dad and me and taken on that same strip when we nearly lost the plane. Such a coincidence.

We were lucky to have that photo Frank and Cummings (being brought down off the mountain) that’s not only the first two people who died on meat operations it was a very significant and historic event.

There were just a handful of us and Frank was one – we all used .222s. People scorned, in fact Tim Wallis would never hire me because I shot a .222. .243 was the smallest calibre Timmy would allow on his helicopters. I told him to stick it, nobody tells me what calibre to use. Frank was a .222 man and Alan Duncan; there were just a handful of us.
'You do have to be a good shot that was the thing you see, that was our rifle. And even today I have friends in the Police who say its bloody ridiculous using a calibre like that on a deer, it’s a small bullet, its high velocity against really big stags you have to really place your shot.

If you remember in the Cascade (refers to The Venison Hunters) I shot 87 deer one day 12,500 Ibs some of those stags were 300 pounders and the .222 did the job. And this is the thing you can just put shot after shot into a neck of a stag around the time of the roaring period and he’ll just shake his head because it wont penetrate the muddy hair and the thick skin on his neck, where if you stick it in the ribs he goes down because that’s his one vulnerable spot. Funny enough most of the .222 shooters on big game we were lung shooters. Once you get a bullet into there, the poor sods, that’s it.

On the Log Cabin up the Arawata:
You wouldn’t be allowed to do it today; you’d have to have all sorts of resource permits.

Mike Bennett.

Here is the link to Videosouth Productions and the film featuring Mike Bennett as Arawata Bill:

No comments:

Post a Comment